History

The old Lymm Fire Station was built in 1901 when fire engines were still horse-drawn. The building now being used by the Brookfield Surgery on Whitbarrow Road, was once a fire station serving the village. In the brickwork above what used to be the main entrance to the building are the words ‘Fire Engine’

According to Joe Griffiths, of Lymm Historical Society, the horses were kept in Pepper Street and were so well-trained that when the fire bell rang they would move to the field gate to be ready for when a couple of local boys - also alerted by the bell - would arrive and ride them bare-back to he fire station. During the war, the Lymm fire engine was sometimes sent to Liverpool to help deal with fires caused by the blitz. The fire station was last used some time in the late 1940s.

New Station

The building of a new Fire Station and safety centre in Lymm was part of a comprehensive plan to improve response times across Cheshire, Halton and Warrington. The plan, which involved the building of five new stations, was subject of a widespread public consultation.

The new Fire Station houses a number of specialist vehicles due to its close location to the motorway network on Cliff Lane, Lymm, WA13 0SP. Below is an artists impression of the current station and a picture of the stations training facilities. 

Last updated: Monday 17 February 2020

Related images


Lymm Fire Station
lymm fire station circa 1900s