Poynton Fire Station History

The Poynton Fire Brigade was formed in December 1955 with 13 people from the local area being recruited to staff a fire engine to protect the village. A small building was erected behind the Poynton School, off Park Lane.

Records show that a large number of grass fires, house fires, barn fires and chimney fires made up the majority of the calls.

When required the "firemen", as they were known then, were alerted by the sounding of an old WWII air raid siren. They then responded from their place of work in the village or their homes to the fire station to man the pumps.

Sub Officer Norman Moss was the first officer at Poynton, serving from December 1955 to February 1983. He led the brigade to a new fire station and the introduction of bells in the firemen's houses to alert them to a call.

Years later, pocket alerters were introduced. This saw the end to the air raid siren which woke half of Poynton every time there was a call.

The fire brigade then turned a corner in the new millennium, and became Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service as it is today. The firemen became firefighters and the days of the retained firefighter just turning up to man a pump and do his best were over.

The fire service in Poynton now consists of a group of highly trained, dedicated men and women. All are trained to a very high standard, and the equipment carried is second to none. The new station was 40 years old in 2008 and, since the formation of Poynton Fire Brigade in 1955, almost 100 people have served at Poynton fire station.

Last updated: Tuesday 12 January 2016