Warrington Fire Station History

Information about Warrington Fire Station:

1791

According to records, in this year was Warrington Fire Brigade formed and, like many others, made a charge for attending fires outside their area. Appliances were based around the town at this time, at the market and at the old bridewell. (the old police station).

1842

According to records there were six appliances based here in Warrington. Victoria, Duke and Waterwitch and numbers 3,4 and 5.

1856

An appliance called 'The Nile' arrived. It took a team of six horses and a crew of 44 men to operate.

1879

The station at Queens Street was built and housed appliances, horses, a smithy a training area and a station commander's house. At that time the horses were borrowed from local owners who were paid a retaining fee plus 5 shillings (25 pence) per hour for a fire.

1880

Steam horsedrawn appliance, Major, purchased at a cost of  £2463.00.

1894

Steam horsedrawn appliance, Captain, purchased at a cost of £6520.00.

1913

Warrington took delivery of its first 'motorised' fire appliance. It cost 1000 and was built by a firm called Thomas Burton.

During the Second World War the brigade, like many others, became part of the National Fire Service and employed 304 trained men with over 200 volunteers crewing appliances placed strategically all over the borough.

1968

The Fire Station on Winwick Road was built and on the 17th July 1968 it was opened by the mayor, councillor David W Pickering to house:

  • 3 pumping appliances
  • 1 turntable ladder
  • 1 foam tender
  • 1 emergency tender along with workshops
  • a comprehensive training area
  • a nuclear fall-out shelter
  • and offices for Chief Fire Officer (CFO Beckingham at the time).

Over the years the station establishment has changed considerably and consists now of two pumping appliances and a water incident rescue unit crewed by four Watches of  9 operational firefighters each.

Records show that the first 'Superintendent of all fire engines and personnel in the town of Warrington' was a Mr John Smith who served from 1828 until his death in 1844 at the age of 50yrs.

Last updated: Tuesday 16 January 2018