Cheshire East has a 2020 mid year populationestimate of 386,667 and an area of approximately 1163 sqkm, making it the third largest unitary council in the North West . Approximately 40% of the population live in rural areas and theremainder in the two major towns of Crewe and Macclesfield and smaller towns ofWilmslow, Congleton, Sandbach, Poynton, Nantwich, Middlewich, Knutsford andAlsager .
The area has excellent national and internationalcommunications by rail from Crewe Junction on the renewed West Coast line, byroad on the M6 and M56 and by air from Manchester Airport on its northern edge.In Cheshire East, there are 47 grade I listed and 179 grade II* listedbuildings, giving it a rich and valuable historic heritage .
The index of multiple deprivation 2019 rankedCheshire East 228th out of 317 local authority areas, making itoverall one of the lower deprived areas of England . However, 7.7% of lower super output areas (LSOAs) were in the top 20% ofthe most deprived areas nationally, with 1.7% being in the top 10% highlightingsmall pockets of deprivation. Visually, the majority of these areasare located in Crewe, with small pockets in Congleton and Macclesfield .
Cheshire East has a higher than average olderpopulation, with 21.9% of residents aged over 65  compared with 17.5% nationally . The over 65population projection is estimated to rise by approximately 20% from 2021 to2030 , whereas the 16-65 population projection is estimated to rise by 0.2% inthis time .
 - NOMIS mid year population estimates 2020.
 - Figure provided by David Robinson. https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/council_and_democracy/your_council/about_cheshire_east/about_cheshire_east.aspx
 – Cheshire East council website – ‘conservationand listed buildings’
 - Ministry of Housing, Communities & LocalGovernment English Indices of Deprivation 2019 – Summaries at Local AuthorityLevel.
 - Ministry of Housing, Communities & LocalGovernment English Indices of Deprivation 2019 – Cheshire East Local authorityprofile map.
 - Population estimates - local authority basedon single year of age [13th May 2022]. Year = 2020, Area(s) =Cheshire East, Cheshire West & Chester, Halton, Warrington.
 - Population estimates - local authority basedon single year of age [13th May 2022]. Year = 2020, Area(s) =England.
 - Populationprojections - local authority based on single year of age [13th May2022]. Area type = local authorities: county/unitary (as of April 2019), Areaname: Cheshire East, Cheshire West, Halton, Warrington.
Deliberate Primary Fires per 10,000 pop - 1.2
Deliberate Secondary Fires per 10,000 pop - 2.6
Accidental Dwelling fires per 10,000 dwellings - 6.5
Unitary Performance Area Plan
Cheshire East Unitary Performance Area Plan 2022-23 (new window, Word Document 14087KB)
Stations in Cheshire East
Last updated: Friday 29 July 2022