On this page you can find out about some of our vintage vehicles:
1955 DENNIS F2 Fire Engine - Reg Number: NED 146
This appliance was bought in 1955 by Joseph Crossfield of Warrington in Cheshire to provide fire cover at their Warrington site.
It continued to give cover until retirement around 1977. It was then handed to the Warrington Bus Corporation for preservation.
In 2002 the ownership was transferred to Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service. It was then totally restored by mechanics from the Fire and Rescue Service workshop to the condition it is in today.
The original Dennis engine was removed and scrapped due to it being unserviceable and a Perkins diesel fitted.
This now does sterling work and has covered many miles throughout the northwest.
1949 DENNIS F7 Fire Engine - Restored to former glory
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service has restored to its original condition a vehicle from its historical fleet, a Dennis F7 Pump Escape Fire Appliance.
The vehicle, dating back to 1949, has undergone a complete makeover after many years of service have eventually taken its toll. Many hours of hard work have gone into its refurbishment including a complete replacement of the appliance's interior and various mechanical elements, as well as a body re-spray and new livery, bringing the engine back to life.
Back in the 1950s the F7 was known for its advanced performance and modern looks. Its 4 speed Rolls Royce Engine, 0-60 speed of 45 seconds and a typical fuel consumption of 3 to 4 mpg were quite impressive for the time. With no power steering and hydraulic brakes the F7 was known to be difficult to drive. Driving one was considered quite an art, although drivers still loved using them.
Now the engine has retired from its official duty the F7 still attends shows and has become a local attraction in its home town of Chester. With approximately five remaining from the 50 that were made, enthusiasts and others alike still want to see a working F7 model.
Shand Mason C 1876
This Shand Mason single cylinder was one of three purchased from London Fire Brigade in 1916 by the Posnett family who owned the Highfield Tannery, Runcorn, it was then donated to Runcorn Town Council.
It was inherited by Cheshire County Fire Brigade some years later and was renovated during the winter of 1995-1996 by Mr Bill Davies of Wrexham.
It is shown at many rallies in Britain and Europe by kind permission of the Chief Officer of Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service.
It is believed to be the oldest original Shand Mason single anywhere in the world to be in full working condition.
Fire Engine from Macclesfield Fire Station
This appliance first served at Macclesfield fire station. It replaced their old Braidwood fire engine. The first driver was Lt Sherratt. It also served in the German bombings of Manchester and Liverpool.
The ladder is 104ft long. It was made to fit the small streets of Macclesfield, by being shorter when housed, with an extra extension to make it up to the full 140ft.
It can pump up to 575 gallons per minute, has two water tanks, each holding 60 gallons,this was only for use with the hose reel at the rear of the appliance.
The bonnet is blue because Leyland Trucks said that it helped with engine heat dispersal.
The engine is an in-line six cylinder overhead camshaft of 539.cu.ins rated at 69 BHP at 1,000 rpm.
Fire Engine from Nantwich and Audlem Fire Stations
This fire engine was bought by Cheshire County Fire Brigade in 1953 and served at Nantwich and Audlem fire stations.
In its later years it served as a spare appliance before being handed over to the historical society for preservation in the mid 70s.
It is powered by the Rolls Royce B60-6 cylinder petrol engine
It carries a 35ft Ajax ladder plus the two section short extension ladder.
The water tank holds 400galls and pumped via a 500gpm pump.