Industrial building fire at a bakery in Aston

23/05/2020 - 00:36

Whitchurch Road, Aston.

Ten fire engines in attendance from Audlem, Nantwich, Chester, Crewe, Northwich, Sandbach, Malpas, Alsager and Whitchurch. Along with an aerial appliance from Chester



Shortly after 12.30am firefighters were called to reports of an industrial building fire at a bakery in Aston near Nantwich.

Firefighters from Nantwich and Audlem were dispatched to the scene and on arrival they discovered a large fire in in the ceiling voids of the building measuring approximately 80 metres by 40 metres

Due to the scale of the fire an additional eight crews from Chester, Crewe, Northwich, Sandbach, Alsager and Malpas and Whitchurch were called to the scene.

Crews have sectorised the fire into three sections and firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, are using hose reel jets to tackle the fire, from both inside and outside of the building.

The A530 Whitchurch Road is currently closed as a result of the incident and residents living nearby are advised to keep their windows and doors closed.

All staff were accounted for and there were no reports of any injuries.


Firefighters have been working throughout the night dealing with the incident.

Crews used eight breathing apparatus and hose reel jets to fight the fire, which was extinguished at around 5am.

Relief crews from Penketh, Tarporley, Congleton and Knutsford arrived at the site at 7am, and all of the initial crews were released from the incident.

They are currently using hand tools to cut away and remove the all of the damaged ceiling panels.

Crews are also using thermal imaging cameras to monitor for any hotspots, they also have a number of hose reel jets on standby to damp down where required.

Firefighters are also working with the buildings owners to undertake a salvage operation and recover equipment where possible.

The cause of the fire is believed to an electrical fault in an air conditioning unit which was located in the roof of the building.


Crews have now completed all of the recovery work and are satisfied that the fully extinguished.

The site has now been handed over to the owner.

In total the crews were in attendance for approximately 13 hours and 30 minutes.

Return to latest incidents

Related images