Wilmslow firefighters urge residents of the dangers of accidental fires at home
Firefighters from Wilmslow are urging residents to stay alert of the dangers accidental fires in homes.
Historically, May is the month with the highest number of accidental dwelling fires in Wilmslow.
Over the past few months, crews from Wilmslow Fire Station have attended several incidents that involved fires in kitchens - thankfully on each occasion all residents had smoke alarms fitted which alerted them to the fire.
However residents are being warned to be wary of the danger posed with tasks such as cooking.
Wilmslow Watch Manager Oliver Tremain said: “It’s important to be aware of the fire dangers that simple, day-to-day tasks at home can pose.
“A lot of the house fires we attend could all be prevented and it is so important to follow key safety advice such as always checking that the cooker is off when you finish cooking and keeping any item away from cookers and hobs.
“These incidents also raise how important it is to have a smoke alarm fitted at your property. A smoke alarm will help alert you and your family to a fire and help you escape from a potentially deadly house fire.”
Key safety advice:
- Be sure to keep items away from the cooker and hob
- Always double check that the cooker is off when you finish cooking
- If you’re wearing loose clothing be careful as they can easily catch fire
- Ensure that saucepan handles do not stick out so that they do not get knocked from the stove
- Take care if you need to leave the kitchen while cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk
- Always keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order as a build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire
For more safety advice please visit https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety
Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service also offer a free ‘Safe and Well Visit’ for people who are aged over 65 or who are referred to by partners. To book a visit please visit https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/MyArea/?i=f&t=fsc
Last updated: Friday 07 May 2021