Cheshire East has a 2020 mid year population estimate of 386,667 and an area of approximately 1163 sqkm, making it the third largest unitary council in the North West . Approximately 40% of the population live in rural areas and the remainder in the two major towns of Crewe and Macclesfield and smaller towns of Wilmslow, Congleton, Sandbach, Poynton, Nantwich, Middlewich, Knutsford and Alsager .
The area has excellent national and international communications by rail from Crewe Junction on the renewed West Coast line, by road on the M6 and M56 and by air from Manchester Airport on its northern edge. In Cheshire East, there are 47 grade I listed and 179 grade II* listed buildings, giving it a rich and valuable historic heritage .
The index of multiple deprivation 2019 ranked Cheshire East 228th out of 317 local authority areas, making it overall one of the lower deprived areas of England . However, 7.7% of lower super output areas (LSOAs) were in the top 20% of the most deprived areas nationally, with 1.7% being in the top 10% highlighting small pockets of deprivation. Visually, the majority of these areas are located in Crewe, with small pockets in Congleton and Macclesfield .
Cheshire East has a higher than average older population, with 21.9% of residents aged over 65  compared with 17.5% nationally . The over 65 population projection is estimated to rise by approximately 20% from 2021 to 2030 , whereas the 16-65 population projection is estimated to rise by 0.2% over the same period .
 - NOMIS mid year population estimates 2020.
 - Figure provided by David Robinson. https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/council_and_democracy/your_council/about_cheshire_east/about_cheshire_east.aspx
 – Cheshire East council website – ‘conservation and listed buildings’
 - Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government English Indices of Deprivation 2019 – Summaries at Local AuthorityLevel.
 - Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government English Indices of Deprivation 2019 – Cheshire East Local authority profile map.
 - Population estimates - local authority based on single year of age [13th May 2022]. Year = 2020, Area(s) =Cheshire East, Cheshire West & Chester, Halton, Warrington.
 - Population estimates - local authority based on single year of age [13th May 2022]. Year = 2020, Area(s) =England.
 - Population projections - local authority based on single year of age [13th May2022]. Area type = local authorities: county/unitary (as of April 2019), Area name: Cheshire East, Cheshire West, Halton, Warrington.
Primary fires per 10,000 pop - 8.1
Deliberate Primary fires per 10,000 pop - 1.2
Deliberate Secondary fires per 10,000 pop - 2.6
Accidental Dwelling fires per 10,000 dwellings - 6.5
Fires in non-domestic properties per 1,000 non-domestic properties - 3.3
All Safe and Well visits completed - 3630
Last updated: Friday, 1 September 2023